September 8, 2017

Having trouble with this email?  View online at: http://listserv.goarch.org/scripts/wa.exe?A0=GOA-NEWS

Feast of the Universal Exaltation
of the Precious and Life-Giving Cross
September 14

The Feast of the Universal Exaltation of the Precious and Life-Giving Cross is celebrated each year on September 14. The Feast commemorates the finding of the True Cross of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ by Saint Helen, the mother of the Emperor Constantine.  In the twentieth year of his reign (326), the Emperor Constantine sent his mother Saint Helen to Jerusalem to venerate the holy places and to find the site of the Holy Sepulchre and of the Cross. Relying upon the oral tradition of the faithful, Saint Helen found the precious Cross together with the crosses of the two thieves crucified with our Lord. However, Helen had no way of determining which was the Cross of Christ.

With the healing of a dying woman who touched one of the crosses, Patriarch Macarius of Jerusalem identified the True Cross of Christ. Saint Helen and her court venerated the Precious and Life-Giving Cross along with many others who came to see this great instrument of Redemption.

The Patriarch mounted the ambo (pulpit) and lifted the Cross with both hands so that all of the people gathered could see it. The crowd responded with "Lord have mercy".

Patriarch Bartholomew and Pope Francis
Release Joint
Message
on the Environment

Kick off a new year of Sunday Church School with resources from the Department of Religious Education available on Orthodox Marketplace.

Church and Time

Engage your faith! Stay connected through our Facebook group,
YouTube Channel, and our Mobile Apps.

The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Ebulletin
is published by the Department of Communications

http://www.goarch.org

http://listserv.goarch.org/scripts/wa.exe?A0=GOA-NEWS

http://listserv.goarch.org/scripts/wa.exe?A0=GOA-NEWS
http://listserv.goarch.org/scripts/wa.exe?A0=GOA-NEWS